February is National Children’s Dental Health Month!
This is a wonderful opportunity for us at Boulevard Dental to share with you some tips for caring for your children’s teeth!
- Children should visit a dentist by age one or when their first tooth appears.
We can help you prevent dental problems, since children can get cavities at any age.
- As soon as teeth are present, they should be cleaned twice daily.
A soft toothbrush with a “rice-sized” amount of fluoride toothpaste for children 3 years of age and under, and a “pea-sized” amount for those 3 years and older.
- Parents should assist in brushing children’s teeth until the age of 6, or longer if necessary.
- Teeth should be brushed morning and night.
- Teeth that are touching should be flossed once a day.
- Proper nutrition is important to a healthy mouth.
Feed your children a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Limit sugary drinks, including juice, to no more than once a day – if at all.
If they are consumed, it is best to limit them to meal times.
- Drink water between meals.
- Limit snacking between meals.
Good oral habits start at a young age. With proper care and nutrition, our teeth can last a lifetime!
Teresa Hanna, RDH