The COVID-19 pandemic has perhaps stretched us all to our limits in one way or another. As a dental practice, we were saddened that we were not able to see our patients during much of this time. That said, we are thrilled to announce that on June 3, the PA Department of Health issued the Interim Guidance on COVID-19 for Dental Health Care Personnel in Pennsylvania. This marked a huge milestone in the midst of this COVID-19 pandemic for our dental practice and for dental practices across PA. An online article from the Pennsylvania Academy of General Dentistry entitled, “Coronavirus Update,” explains that this guidance now permits dental offices to perform routine cleanings once again. In addition, this guidance is not subject to the red/yellow/green standard. This was an expansion upon the PA Department of Health’s previous revision on May 8th in which some non-emergency care was again permitted.
While we at Boulevard Dental are very excited about our ability to once again treat our patients, we also want to make sure you know that we are fully committed to keeping you safe. An American Dental Association (ADA) online article, “COVID-19: What to Expect When Your Dentist’s Office Reopens,” summarizes the main steps we will take to ensure your safety when you return.
Before Your Appointment:
- Patients will be asked some screening questions and we will give you instructions for when you arrive at our office. You will be asked the same screening questions again when you come for your appointment.
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients.
During your Appointment:
- We will ask you to wear a mask upon entering the office and we will also take your temperature when you arrive.
- We have hand sanitizer that we will ask you to use when you enter the office.
- Our reception room will no longer offer magazines, children’s toys and so forth, since those items are difficult to clean and disinfect.
- Staff will wear extra safety equipment, both for your safety and for theirs.
After Your Appointment:
- Staff will thoroughly clean the areas where patients have been after each appointment.
We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic is an evolving pandemic, and as such, we are committed to following the trends in our area. We also want to assure you that we will stay up-to-date on the infection control recommendations made by the PA Department of Health, the American Dental Association (ADA), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
It is with much excitement that we want to say “Welcome back.” This pandemic has left an indelible mark on all of our lives, but through it, our commitment to our patients and our community has not wavered. We are still here…and we are still here for you.
American Dental Association. COVID-19: What to Expect When Your Dentist’s Office Reopens. https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/dental-care-concerns/covid-19-what-to-expect-when-your-dentists-office-reopens. Accessed June 5, 2020.
Pennsylvania Academy of General Dentistry. Coronavirus Update. http://www.pagd.org/coronavirus. Accessed June 3, 2020.
Pennsylvania Department of Health. Interim Guidance on COVID-19 for Dental Health Care Personnel in Pennsylvania. https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/Documents/Diseases%20and%20Conditions/Guidance%20on%20COVID-19%20for%20Dental%20Health%20Care%20Personnel%20in%20Pennsylvania.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2020.